For Immediate Release
December 14, 2018
13 FILMS SELECTED FOR 2019 VANCOUVER ISLAND SHORT FILM FESTIVAL
NANAIMO- Thirteen short films have been selected for the 14th annual Vancouver Island Short Film Festival (VISFF) in Nanaimo, happening February 1st and 2nd at Vancouver Island University’s Malaspina Theatre.
The festival received 116 entries from eight countries. VISFF’s Selection Committee, comprised of Nanaimo film buffs Jocelyn Matwe, Todd Jones, Valentina Cardinalli, Mallory Gibson and Frank Moher, narrowed down the field and decided on the final lineup.
“Vancouver Island entries accounted for approximately 20 per cent of all submissions, up 10 per cent from previous years,” said VISFF Director Karla Duarte. “Nanaimo filmmakers ranked in the top tier of all entries and we are excited to present this year’s program.”
This year’s films:
- A BOY’S FEAR (Samson Alli, Texas)
- ALTERNATING CURRENT (Rowan Gray, Winnipeg)
- CLAIRE (Spencer Ryerson, Toronto)
- FISHER COVE (Sean Skene, Winnipeg)
- HOW TO HIDE A DEAD BODY (John Gardiner, Nanaimo)
- INANIMATE (Lucia Bulgheroni, London, UK)
- LIFELINES (Catharine Parke, Vancouver)
- LIVING WITH (Raymond Knight, Nanaimo)
- PIECE OF MIND (Erin Hembrador, Winnipeg)
- POSITIONS (Justin Ducharme, Vancouver)
- ROSES AND STITCHES (Maxwell Dowie, Nanaimo)
- THE IMPORTANCE OF DREAMING (Tara Audibert, New Brunswick)
- THE WRESTLER (Michael Chen, Nanaimo)
The selected films will be screened on Friday, February 1st at 7:00pm (followed by a filmmakers Q&A) and Saturday, February 2nd at 2:00pm and 7:00pm (followed by the Awards Ceremony). Tickets for the VISFF are $16.50, and they’re on sale now through The Port Theatre’s Box Office and website (www.porttheatre.com). For more information, visit visff.com or email email@example.com.
Note: The films are unrated and may not be suitable for all audiences. Some may contain violence and sexual content. Viewer discretion is advised.
MEDIA CONTACT: Hilary Eastmure (250) 327-4240